Stop drop and roll

So here I am, sitting in my office, (I work in a 12 story, multi tenant building). minding my own business. I can hear a delivery truck out my office window down by the docks. Well, turns out, that wasn't a delivery truck. It was a fire truck. There were several of them, surrounding my building.

But no fire alarm. So, no panic.

I sit down, do my deal... and someone comes in the office.

"Uh, we're evacuating. "

Me: Uh, why no alarm?

"Because there's smoke, but we don't know where it's coming from."

Me: Oh.

So here I'm left to wonder, if there's smoke, there's usually a fire right? And I'm not getting that whole part that you don't put the alarm on if you don't know where the fire is. I don't get that, but okay. So we went to Starbucks and the three of us drank more coffee. Yummmm...

Back to work to continue on with my normal day right? He he he. I sent an email before we walked out, to our Corporate office which is located in the heart of Chicago. My office has 7 ppl and is about 15 miles outside of the city. I sent them an email, in case they were to try to get a hold of us, letting them know what was going on here. I get back to find that, apparently, after the guy came in our suite and told us to evacuate the building manager called my office to tell us to come down to the first floor. Well, when I don't answer my phone at my desk, it transfers down to our Receptionist downtown at corporate.

Not thinking, the building manager told the receptionist that we had to evacuate, come down to the first floor because of a fire. What did the receptionist do in Chicago? She announced over the loud speaker that they had to evacuate.

And so there it is. Corporate - Downtown Chicago - All the executives and their cronies - evacuated because of a fire that was 15 miles away from them. They didn't figure it out until all of them were down in the lobby.

THAT is perfect. I love it... LOVE it.

Turns out that our HVAC system blew something or another and was causing smoke. All is good. Back to work.

0 comments: