I was talking to Babe about a friend who's husband is opening a business, skateboards and rims. Yes... thats it, but it's in my old hood, which... this type of business has potential to do well. I was telling him that all I could think about is how much work goes into opening a business and doing the business plan, the market research, etc and how I did this in college to open a fake business and pitch it to "investors". See, when I talk to friends that live in my home town, I have to watch what I say or rather, how I say it. It's almost like I'm afraid to sound "snotty" to them, when actually it's "educated" that would set me apart. None of them went to college, and although I have not graduated, I still have the experience of getting 3/4th the way through, taking business classes, accounting classes, etc. So for fear of sounding snotty, I refrain from expressing my concerns when a friend tells me her husband is opening a store. It's difficult to hold back when I fear the inevitable, something that they can NOT manage financially.
The other day Babe and I were talking about work and how bothered I was about people asking me if I was A. feeling okay or B. going back to work after the baby. Why is it that all people think that every single woman gets morning sickness? I don't get it. And the work thing, I couldn't stay home being just a stay at home mom, I'd go crazy. So I told Babe that I was feeling like I needed to make myself more "valuable" here at work so they realize how much I do here when DO leave for the baby. Sometimes, I get the feeling that they think I don't do much of anything. Well, half of what I do can be handled by a temp, the other half, not so much.
Babe tells me: "You know, I was thinking, if you did decide to leave your compay for whatever reason, or if you didn't go back to work there... I was thinking, maybe you could go into business for yourself.
Me: Wha?
Babe: Yeah, I was thinking that you have the personality for it, the brains, the drive... you could open your own business. What kind of business, I don't know. Hell, you could make those buttons that the kids are putting on the Crock's these days for all I know, but I'm sure you'd be good at it.
Me: You're nuts. Seriously?
Babe: Of course I'm serious. Just something to think about. I know you worry about what you would do if you left your company for one reason or another, that may be an option for you.
So now, here I am thinking that maybe he's right. The thing is, I don't have a "passion" for anything. I don't have that lifelong dream of opening a lingerie store, or a bakery or anything for that matter. Just not on my list of things to do. But then again, it is an option. Now to figure out what kind of business, could be fun to think about. Not that I'm actually going to run off and do something right away, just a thought. that's all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Who's in who's head now gurl!!??
You could print instruction manuals for stupido ppl.:)
You could be a party planner..
You could design belly button jewelry for prego ppl
you could be the most fabulous stay-a-home-mom ever!!!! and do children's parties!
You're only limited by your own imagination...which I think is limitless at this point!
Hmmm... party planner. That could be fun. Or a wedding consultant. That could be fun too!
I know, the possibilities are endless! I love that you threw out ideas, that's the hardest part, I think. Getting that imagination kick started!!!
You would be a GREAT party planner or wedding coordinator. You could even plan children's parties it could be your specialty! Or decorate children's rooms!!!
I agree with Babe, I think you'd be great at it!